Wednesday, May 4, 2011

And That's a Wrap

  And here we are at the end of the spring 2011 semester, Communicating Science ending with it. As such, this will be my last post for the blog project and for ENIAC Beyond. I may start it back up again when I get settled into the computer science industry, but that is probably far into the future. Maybe I'll be able to post about technologies and systems I'm working on instead of finding articles and stories about great things people have already done.
  Writing has never really been a strong suit of mine. It's always been a struggle, staring at a computer screen for hours to put down a few well placed sentences. I still remember writing my first two blog posts, a simple welcoming post and an overly technical piece about the progress of processing power over the decades. I had stayed up til 4 in the morning to polish off the posts, not a very good feeling after looking back and seeing how entrenched in the deficit model the processing post turned out to be.
  I caught a lucky break with Watson's appearance on Jeopardy! The event was easily observable and entertaining, able to catch attention quickly. These posts were where I slowly started to get in to the rhythm of posting with engaging stories and events. Proceeding posts tried to take from intractable sources or tried to be a bit more than a wall of text to bore the reader. The writing process never really got any easier, each time I sat down to write a blog post was a long drawn out process, but I was feeling better about my posts as time went on.
  Thanks for reading my blog. It's definitely been a learning experience and a good introduction into the difficulty and importance of effective science communication. Hopefully I can take what I learned here and apply it to all that I do in the future.
  For now, I'm signing off from the blogging world. You stay classy, San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment